Dear Laurence Families,
Welcome back! I hope that your children had an enjoyable first week back from Winter Break. While we look forward to welcoming students back to campus, unfortunately, COVID-19 case counts in Los Angeles are still rising, and the hospitals are overwhelmed. This past Thursday, Los Angeles County Public Health (LACDPH) Director, Barbara Ferrer, issued a strong recommendation that all TK - 12 schools suspend all on-campus activity through the end of January. The health and safety of our community remains our number one priority, and consequently we will be following this recommendation and pausing all on-campus activities for an additional week, through January 29th. It is our hope that we will be able to resume in-person learning at the beginning of February for our K-2 students, and also move forward with additional on-campus opportunities for our 3-6 students.
We will continue to keep you updated moving forward. Please see below for important information regarding supplies and required quarantining/testing requirements for returning to school:
- K-2 materials are being mailed home.
- 3-6 materials will be picked up via drive through; details will be sent by the front office shortly.
Quarantining & Testing:
- If your family is out of town, please be aware that you must quarantine for 10 days upon your return, and prior to returning to campus.
- At this time, we plan to require student PCR testing prior to our return to in-person learning. More details to come.
- When we are able to return to campus, we will be ready to welcome students safely. In our recent conversation with LACDPH, it was reported that the overall transmission rate of COVID-19 within schools remains very low. At Laurence, we are continuing with our weekly PCR testing of all faculty and staff, and all school employees are wearing medical-grade PPE. Additionally, we have hired an experienced school nurse who will be working extended hours. We look forward to introducing her to the Laurence family shortly.
There are exciting opportunities on the horizon! I am delighted to share that our newest building on the Field of Dreams is ready for our 6th grade students, and our reimagined Edible Garden is finished. I can't wait to share photos of these new areas with you soon! Additionally, while we don't have details on the timeframe of vaccine availability, we are encouraged that school personnel are being prioritized as Tier 1B. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and it is now visible! We will be together again soon!
Once again I want to thank you for your partnership and support as we remain Stronger Together.